What’s driving organizations to become software companies?
What’s behind these challenges? How might one deal with these problems?
- A percentage of IT projects will go disastrously wrong (i.e. black swans in McKinsey terminology),
- Aberrant projects can potentially bankrupt a company, and
- Chances of a disaster increase dramatically with project length.
Red Hat Cloud solutions and services
|Figure 1 Red Hat Cloud complete infrastructure and tools (Chart courtesy of Red Hat)|
|Figure 2 Red Hat Stand-alone tools and solution suite (Chart courtesy of Red Hat)|
Problems with Infrastructure and cloud migration
- Slow delivery of applications
- The sheer complexity of managing dynamic virtual machines (VMs) and systems environment.
Red Hat Solutions
- Helping to speed up slow application delivery by automating the creation of environments for developers,
- Reducing infrastructure complexity by adding a management platform able to optimize the environment.
Cloud Environment Challenges
Red Hat’s Solutions
- Non-responsive, not agile apps – IT needs to modernize development processes to replace monolithic apps so that logical portions of the app can be independently updated,
- Infrastructure unable to adapt to changing workloads – IT needs to change from a scale-up environment to scale-out environment.
With respect to switching from a scale-up to a scale-out environment, while correct for many cases, it isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. Again, it depends on the environment. For very large systems, the cheapest, more logical solution may be to increase capacity through better load management or scheduling. In other cases, scale-up may be too expensive to undertake. We'd recommend a study to identify and evaluate alternatives. companies facing this choice should investigate carefully.